Chicken Tortilla soup:
(Makes 4 servings)
- 6 corn tortillas, cut in half, then cut into long strips
- Olive oil spray
- Olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth (if you’re boiling your own chicken, you can use the broth from this)
- Two 15-ounce cans diced tomatoes along with juice from can
- Two 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken-about 1 lb. uncooked chicken breast (use store bought rotisserie chicken to save time OR boil your own chicken then shred it)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- Salt to taste
Optional toppings: low fat sour cream, cheese, fresh jalapenos, and avocado
- Bake tortilla strips
- Preheat your oven to 375F, line a baking sheet with foil and scatter the tortilla strips, spray evenly with olive oil.
- Bake for about 15 mins., or until crisp and lightly golden brown; set aside.
- While strips bake, begin making the soup.
- In a pot, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- Once hot, add the onion, jalapeno, garlic and sauté for about 3 minutes, or until onion becomes soft and translucent.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes along with their tomato juice, black beans, chicken, chili powder, cumin, salt to taste, and bring to a boil.
- Cover and allow soup to boil for about 5 to 7 minutes. If you prefer more soup broth, add 1 more cup of water before boiling.
- Taste soup and add more spices if needed. To make it more spicy, you can add another pepper or red chili flakes.
- If using for meal prep, pack tortilla strips separately in air tight bag or container and add strips and toppings right before serving.